Table of Contents
Of the many options for flooring for the kitchen, we chose proven for decades – a ceramic tile. Deficiencies found two: the floor is cold, fallen crockery shatters to pieces (on the linoleum it had a better chance). But the benefits far outweighed the tiles appeared: is it much longer without loss of good appearance, easy to clean, and the kitchen is better it is the best that you can find. Laying the tile in the kitchen professional contractors is not cheap, so we want to save money. So we decided to implement tile laying by yourself. Technology laying tile is not so difficult as it seems at first look. And if you do not need a super perfect result, tiles in the kitchen can be made to simplify and accelerate the scenario.
Materials and tools:
- floor tiles
- tile adhesive
- wide spatula
- notched trowel
- rubber spatula
- tic dividers
Technology laying tiles:
1. Calculating the number of tiles. Calculating the number of tiles produced by floor space. In the same package – 1 square meter. Generally acquired stock, just in case the tile will crack in the repair process. Now it is possible to buy some tiles over the required number of packages. Consumption of adhesive and grout on the package. Remember that the correct calculation of the number of tiles – the key to saving money and time.
2. Preparation of the floor surface. Needless to say, laying tile in the kitchen is done on a clean and flat floor. It is necessary to remove debris, dust sweep. Too high places need to knock down and re-fill, for example, cement mortar. Depressions and pits also need to be leveled. Then the floor is primed. But even if special leveler, you need to check the floor level. As practice shows, to achieve a perfectly flat surface is difficult, so you need to install beacons, which then controlled tile adhesive.
3. Laying the tiles in the kitchen. Novice handlers useful this technique: the layout of the tiles “dry”, ie fitting on the floor without glue. So it will be clear how best to lay tile, where it is necessary to cut. Experienced handlers often do without it, especially if the tile is placed in the seam weld.
Begin to lay the tiles from the middle of the room is better if you want to put any diagonal pattern and the angle first, whether you want to make everything easier and faster. Required markings: line is drawn from the middle to the opposite wall, then in the same way a perpendicular line. Laying the tiles from any angle starts in the center of the room. This method is good in an empty room. If we make repairs in the apartment, which at the same time the whole family lives, this method is unlikely to fit. Easier to start from a free angle, pre-calculated and examples of tile. In the second method should start laying the very noticeable angle: if you want to cut tile trimmed lies in an inconspicuous corner.
Stir adhesive (instructions on the package), and apply it between beacons.
Align rule. Tile adhesive should be smooth, it should not be void (later if the floor will drop a heavy object tiles may crack in the place that has not been filled with glue).
To the first-row lies flat, you need to fix a piece of wood, along which lay the tile. Then glue is applied to the tile with a notched trowel.
Put the tiles on the adhesive layer, slightly press down, swaying movements align
Check in terms of styling
The floor must be flat, if the tile is deepening, add glue, if it turns out the elevation, the glue from the tiles needs a little clean. If you are satisfied, spacers are inserted between the tiles-crosses.
They help to make smooth seams. Tile with a completely smooth edges and precise geometry can be installed without seams, but the floor is better to lay with seams: Treat the seams, you can further protect the floor from leaks.
4. Grouting. After laying the adhesive, must dry for 2-3 days. You can then overwrite the seams. They first cleanse from glue residue and debris, and then we put a rubber spatula grout longitudinal and transverse movements, filling the entire interior of the seam.
Good seams will protect the floor in the future from all trouble, from spilled water to heavy objects. When the grout is dry, it can be carefully removed from the tiles with a dry cloth. Wet cleaning is only possible on the following day, after drying grout.
When laying tiles appreciate every stage:
- aligning the surface of the floor, we get exactly laid tiles
- quality adhesive without causing voids obtain reliable floor that will not crack under load
- exactly laying tile, we get a beautiful floor flat seams
- qualitatively jammed joints, but the beauty and obtain protection for the floor